Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Books + Toddlers



For some reason, reading is something I have never really enjoyed.  Even as a kid I didn't like to read.  I remember my mom signing my sister and I up for summer reading programs at our local library to try to enforce reading, but for some reason or another I never caught on to the fun.

Even though reading isn't one of my favorite pastimes, I do enjoy reading to Rowen.  Ever since she was a few months old, Ryan and I have been reading lots of books to her.  She has a library of well over 30 books and we easily read 5-10 books a day!  She loves it!

At first, I struggled with trying to find good books for Rowen, books she would enjoy for many years to come.  After a year and a half of experience, I think I've finally come up with a few good tips for picking out books that will keep a child’s interest:

Board Books:  If you have a toddler in the house you know that they like to destroy things.  So if you want your books to last, I recommend board books!  

Large pictures:  Large, brightly colored illustrations will help to keep a little one’s attention

Short and sweet:  I’ve noticed Rowen quickly gets bored with a book if it’s too wordy.  Books with short, easy to understand sentences are the way to go!

Rhymes:  A book that rhymes makes reading all the more fun! 

Here is a list of Rowen’s top five favorite books:

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom:  This is the newest book in our collection.  She absolutely loves the bright colored pictures and the way it reads (sort of like a song).


Big Bug, Little Bug:  This book is awesome!  It teaches opposites using bright colored illustrations and easy to understand sentences.  Not to mention there is an awesome pop-up at the end of the book, too!


Ten Little Ladybugs:  An adorable book that counts backward from 10 using rhyming to help reinforce the concept of counting.  Rowen loves it! 



Elephant:  This is one of five books in a small collection.  Animals (especially elephants) seem to keep Rowen’s attention the most!


Brown Bear Brown Bear:  I remember my teachers reading this book when I was a kid!  This book is very repetitive, and has helped Rowen associate colors with various animals.


What are your kids' favorite books?  I'd love to hear!


Shared with:

Happy Kids, Inc.