Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Fun at the Iowa State Fair

August in Iowa means one thing and one thing only...the Iowa State Fair!


The Iowa State Fair is an annual fair held in Des Moines over an 11 day period and just so happens to be one of the largest state fairs in the country and is on the list of 1000 places to see before you die...pretty cool!

I've been going to the fair every year since I was a kid and I knew that I wanted Rowen to have the same experience, so this past Saturday morning we grabbed the diaper bag, loaded the stroller in the car and headed out!

The first thing we did upon arrival was hightail it to the first corn dog stand we could find! You see, the Iowa State fair is famous for its plethora of deep fried goodness on a stick and I was not about to miss out...


Thank goodness I ran six miles earlier that morning because I downed two of these puppies in just a matter of minutes...so good!


Rowen even got in on the action.  At first, she wasn't quite sure what to think, but once had it figured out, she went straight to town...



...like mother like daughter, I guess!


After our bellies were full we headed to see everything the Iowa State Fair has to offer including...

A visit to see the animals...




A quick peek at the biggest bull you'll ever see...


A stroll through the Midway....


A trip through the Agriculture Building to see some award winning produce...


and a ride on the Sky Glider...


Two hours and a lot of walking later, we made a pit stop for THESE bad boys...Fried Oreos!  Enough said, right?


And finally, no trip to the Iowa Sate Fair would be complete without a visit to the Butter Cow!  Yes, I said butter cow - a life-size cow carved out of butter, you'd be a fool to miss it!


Five and a half hours later my legs had had enough walking, but it was totally worth it!  If you're one of those people who have never been to Iowa and think that all the state has to offer is corn, you're dead wrong! The Iowa State Fair brings in people from all over the country and is a great way to spend time with family!  I highly recommend you add it to you're bucket list, you'll be glad you did! 


No comments:

Post a Comment