Sunday, July 6, 2014

Weekend Wrap Up: 4th of July

Whew!  What a busy yet FUN weekend!  I love everything about the Fourth of July, and this year was especially fun because Rowen was old enough to partake in all the festivities...

Friday morning I woke up bright and early and headed 30 miles west to my grandma's hometown.  Every year her town throws a big 4th of July party that starts with a 5K race!

It was my fourth year running the race and this year I ran my best time ever!  

After the race, we headed up the street to join the rest of my family for the parade.  It was Rowen's very first parade and it's safe to say she had a blast dancing in the street, "ooh-ing" and "awww-ing" at all the firetrucks, and collecting a ton of candy (for mom to eat, haha).

After the parade we headed over to the local park to grab some lunch and get ready for the Diaper Derby. My dad is the local pharmacist in town and every year his pharmacy puts on a race for kids known as the Diaper Derby.  Last year Rowen attempted to crawl in the race, and by "attempted" I mean she just sat there and looked around while all the other babies left her in the dust.  HA!  

This year I had high hopes.  She loves to run around in the yard so I thought she'd do great.  Right before the race, Rowen had tons of energy, so much in fact that I think she wore herself out!  By the time it was our turn at the start line she completely melted.  You know the - screaming at the top of her lungs, arms in the air, legs kicking - kind of meltdown (these pictures don't do it justice).  Oh, well, better luck next year I guess.

My little cousin Gabriele was also in the race and did wonderfully!  Last year she won the entire thing and this year she came close! 

Later that evening (after a much needed nap) we reconvened with my family for a BBQ featuring homemade ice cream, yard games and fireworks!

It was 11:30 before we made it home.  All three of us must have been exhausted because we ended up sleeping in until 10am!

Saturday afternoon, Ryan and Rowen headed out to his parents' lake house while I stayed back to do some cleaning and finish up a few design projects.  I met back up with them later that night for dinner at the lake only to find out that Rowen had developed a fever.  So instead of watching round two of fireworks as planned, Rowen and I headed home to bed while Ryan stayed and hung out with his family.  

So far today Rowen's fever is still sticking around.  We spent most of the day on the couch watching movies and napping.  Poor thing --- I hate when she's sick!  It'll be off to the doctor tomorrow if she's still not feeling well.  

Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!  

No comments:

Post a Comment