Saturday, February 8, 2014

New House

Back in July, my husband and I decided to sell our very first home.  We’d been in the house only three years, but in those three years a lot had happened.  I had switched jobs (my commute was now 45 minutes each way, yuck), and we welcomed our daughter into the family.   Suddenly it felt like maybe our house wasn't the right house for us anymore.  There were mixed emotions when we put the sign in the yard. Besides leaving the best neighbors we could ever ask for {I still get sad when I think about them}, this was our first house, a house we had built just for us, yet at the same time, we were ready to move on to a new adventure and pass the house off to someone else who could love it just as much as we did! 

The house sold in just 10 days, something I am not sure we were prepared for.  The location of the house is what sold it. It was in one of the best school districts in the metro area and was close to every amenity you could possibly want/need!  Sure, it was great that our house had sold so quickly, but at the same time added a lot of stress to the situation.  We had just a small window of time to find our next house. 

After three or four full evenings of looking at what seemed like every house in our price range, we had finally found {what we thought was} our next house!  It was about 20 minutes north of our previous location, and much closer to my work!  The house would need a few updates, but for the most part had everything we wanted!  The next few weeks were spent packing and getting ready for the big move.  Then, three days before we were set to close on the house we got a call from our realtor telling us the waterline to the refrigerator had broken and flooded the entire main level.  NOT what what we wanted to hear!  After seeing the damage we decided to back out of the deal.  Fast forward three days and you’d find us moving everything we own into a storage unit.  We were homeless.  Thankfully, my parents lived only a few minutes away and offered us their basement until we found another house.

After more searching with our realtor {bless her} we found another home a few miles south of the first one, except there was one minor issue, it was still under construction…for another seven weeks!  Ask my husband and he’d probably tell you those seven weeks were the longest seven weeks of his life, haha, but he was a great sport about it.  For me, living with my parents wasn't bad at all.  It meant free rent (hello savings!), and a built in babysitter!

The builder was right on time with the construction and we finally became homeowners again in November! Since then, we've been working to make this new house a home.  It’s going to take awhile, but we’re slowly chipping away at our “to do” list!  So, stay tuned, I plan to share some of my favorite DIY projects and house updates with you here!

No comments:

Post a Comment